Friday, October 4, 2013

Making Kim Chee!

August 5, 2013

I’ve been missing Korea and it’s amazing food lately. I have plenty of bokchoy available here in Samoa as well as peppers, ginger, and garlic so I figured I’d make some kimchee. Bok choy isn’t what is typically used for kimchee but it works fine (I’m sure any sturdy, leafy green would be delicious--they pretty much all have been modified from the same plant anyway and I think kale or chard would make some delicious kimchee). I chopped up the peppers, ginger, and garlic, smeared them on the bokchoy leaves, found an extra glass jar, and stuffed the yummies in to ferment. OK, I tried some fresh first. It was good. Nothing like real kimchee from my co-teachers in Korea but still good. After a few days it was even better. I’m still finishing it a few months later and it’s still great. I can’t wait to make a new batch. I also tried some simple pickling with cucumbers, carrots, and even tried to pickle ginger. All but the latter came out great. I’ll have to try the ginger again with some fresh ginger from my garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment