Saturday, June 22, 2013

Group 85 Packing Suggestions:

This is just to give you one current PCV’s opinion on what has been useful. I have a bit of a unique living situation which might have an effect on what will be useful for you in your future placement. I live in my own house on the school grounds. I have a host family who live just down the road from me and I eat dinner with them most nights and hang out afterwards. But I don’t live there and have more control of my living situation. So just understand that you will most likely be living in the same house as your host family or at least on their property but in a separate fale.

Clothes
The most important thing to remember here is that you will be washing your clothes in a bucket and line-drying it. So, the more clothes you bring the more clothes you have to clean if they pile up.

10 cotton t-shirts:          you can easily go through 2 or 3 shirts a day when it’s hot depending on what you’re doing. Personally, I prefer cotton shirts to the wicking or athletic shirts that other PCVs are suggesting. So, use your best judgment. Don’t worry about logos or anything. No one here notices them and some people wear shirts with images/phrases that are actually kinda offensive but no one understands them anyway.

5 pairs board shorts:     I have one pair that doesn’t have lining and I prefer that pair. I think the packing list suggests that they are conservative but that’s honestly just ridiculous. The shorts available here are normally brightly colored and not what I would call conservative. Just bring some you like.

Undershirts/A-shirts:     I have both. I use the undershirts for school and A-shirts (tank top/”wife-beater) for around the village.

Undies:                         Bring a lot. 10-20 pairs. Save half in a plastic bag for later on. Or just buy in-country if you're OK with briefs or other non-boxer options.

Shoes/Socks:                Who needs ‘em? You will never wear socks even though at staging they will make you wear them. Unless you plan on running then bring a few pairs (I have 3-4 pairs and that’s more than enough). I’d just wear a pair of your athletic socks and your running shoes to staging. They might put up a little fuss but it’s absolutely ridiculous to make people bring a pair of shoes just for staging. You will only need flip-flops for basically all occasions (again, except for exercise/hiking on your own time). You can get them here for about US$5.

Button-up Shirts:          You should probably bring about 5 of these (more if you want some variety during staging). You will be wearing them during training and during your practicum. They will also suggest these should be “conservative” but my host family gave me on with fiery skulls all over it which I wore to school and my co-teachers loved it. On that note, when deciding how many and which ones to pack, keep in mind that you will probably be given at least a few ofu tinos (button up shirts) from your training village host family and will also probably have to buy some for your school’s uniforms.

Sunday Whites:             The normal shirt top is a long-sleeved, white, button up, collared shirt. Don’t go buy a fancy one. Just buy one at a Goodwill/Salvation Army. If you’ve ever waited tables and needed a white shirt for your uniform you’ll know just the kind to get. As for the bottom, ie faitaga, you can buy a white one at CCK in Apia during your first week here. They run about US$15. Bring a few, basic ties, too. Shoes are, you guessed it, flip-flops. Nothing fancy needed.
Electronics

Laptop:                        Bring it. You could survive without one for sure, but it’s just much easier to do things like write blogs, keep track of photos, or watch movies from. I also, am doing the Masters International so I use mine to write up reflection papers as well.

External Hard Drive:     I didn’t bring one. Everyone raves about them but I think I would just be too tempted to sit at home and watch movies if I had brought one. Instead, I bought a 64-GB thumb drive that works just fine for getting new movies if I want.

MP3 player:                  I brought one and it was toast within 4 months. The rain and humidity just got to it. Up to you on this one. They’re expensive to buy here on your living allowance.

eReader:                       I brought my Kindle and it was totally worth it. But, just in case you don’t have one and/or don’t want to bring one, the library at the PC office in Apia is HUGE. 5-6 large, bookshelves plus boxes. Lot’s of books form the last few years, too. I actually use that about as much as my Kindle (if not a little more).

Adapters:                     You can buy outlet adapters here for about US$1. Converters are probably available here although I’ve never seen one. I’ve also never looked for one. Probably best to bring with you if you want one. Personally, I don’t ever use a converter here. I brought one but I just haven’t needed it yet.
Toiletries

Shaving:                        I’d say bring a ton of razors (very expensive here). Also, I have a thick beard and sensitive skin and so shaving can suck. BUT, I totally recommend “Shave Secret”. You can get it at Walmart for about US$3 per bottle. It’s honestly the best product I’ve ever used. You only use about 3-5 drops per shave with a little bit of water. I brought 3 little bottles and I just started using my 2nd bottle a couple weeks ago. It lasts forever. Save money and space.

Cologne:                       Cheap, watered-down cologne is available aplenty here. If you desire some of your own, bring it. But it’s not necessary.

Toothbrushes:               You can get brushes and paste here for a reasonable price.

Hair gel:                        More watery, crap is available here. Bring yours if you care. I just use the watery crap on occasion or go without.

Travel bottles:               Those small plastic bottles that you can put shampoo and stuff in. I didn’t bring any but I go to Apia/Salelologa overnight at least once a month and they would totally have been nice to have. I know REI and similar places sell really nice packs. I remember them being kinda spendy, but if you have the funds I totally recommend them.
Fitness

Weights:                       I’d look for water-weights if you can find them. Another PCV from the former group who stayed on this year gave me his old ones and they work great. Light-weight as well. Or bring resistance bands. I’d bring a few different levels. Just be careful with the humidity. The bands might snap. The one I brought didn’t, but the handle broke. Lame.

On a side note: if the “Your Assignment” booklet you get is anything like ours it will say that your toilet will be “a concrete slab with a hole in it that is set on the ground and flushed with a bucket of water.” This is stupid for 2 reasons. First, I’ve yet to visit a Samoan home that doesn’t have a flush toilet (they all do). Secondly, Peace Corps volunteers were the ones who brought the flush toilet to Samoa decades ago. Another word for toilet in Samoan is “fale Pisikoa” (Peace Corps building). Peace Corps needs to update their info. You will have a flush toilet.
There’s probably tons I’m forgetting and I’ll update this if I do think of anything else. For now, here’s the links to 2 other current PCVs suggestions:

No comments:

Post a Comment