Sunday, August 19, 2012

Welcome Pictures from Samoa


The most frequent question I'm getting is about food: "What kind of food will you be eating?" Well, here's some pictures to let you (and me!) know:

Husking a coconut
Removing the meat from a coconut after husking





Typical Samoan meats



Preparing papaya
Preparing breadfruit
Typical fruits from Samoa


And here's what the markets look like:
Supermarket

Open-air market in Apia
"What will your living situation be like?" Let's have a look:

Meal with host family

What my room might look like
Or maybe more like this

Open fale (house

Western-style house
Family compound (left to right): fale (house), cooking house, bathroom/shower

Lastly, "What do the schools look like?":





My uniform for school


My project will be teaching literacy and conversation skills to primary level English students. Peace Corps Volunteers are also expected to do side projects. Here's a few photos of what that might look like:





So cool!

Some additional Samoan cultural photos:

General store/meeting place

Samoan bus

Church on Sunday: an important part of Samoan culture

I'm totally gonna learn how to do this




And some activities I'll probably be doing in my spare time:


I hope you enjoy the pictures!







3 comments:

  1. I was in group 82 and your blog is bringing back so many memories! Enjoy every minute of it; Samoa is such a special place!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful people out there. Been there once.

    obgyn phoenix az

    ReplyDelete